Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Monday, May 17, 2010

This is how my garden grows...

In a bit of desperation to actually get summer started, the plants were transplanted this past Saturday afternoon from the overgrown seedling tray to the garden.  They were so overgrown and it was still not the best outdoor weather that I decided to just give it a try and if I have to then I'll break down and buy a few plants from the local nursery.  

Here are the two plots planted.


Notice the tools and kneeling pad - see I did do the work with the help of my three year old.

In both plots you can see that I "marked" off my square foot sections.  The very well established onions, parsley and lettuce were volunteers from last years plantings - how nice of them to grow relatively close to a square foot section so as to not throw off my grid by very much.  Several plants were relatively substantial enough and hopefully will make the transition well.  Some were not so hot looking and may need replacement.  I had made a very nice matrix (the engineer in me) documenting which seed had been started in which quadrant of the my seedling tray - ie. 1-1 was a tomato - 1-2 was some basil, etc.  Unfortunately, I could not locate this matrix when I planted, so there are a few tags in the garden that state "mystery" They'll be like the matchbox / hot wheels car that comes in the black container that the boys so love getting at the store. 

My wonderful husband made the cedar planters /beds for me.  I was envisioning a couple of 2X6s nailed together - I got cedar mortise and tendon construction - Norm Abrams like - masterpieces.  They are beautiful - no?

He also made me the trellis's for growing things vertically.  I grow tomatoes, cucumbers, melons, and beans vertically on those.  Here's a better picture of the trellis...

He made those out of copper pipe and stripped copper wire.  After the pictures I put up the bunny fencing to prevent last years event where all the bitty plants were "trimmed" to the ground the following day.  And then I watered in very well so that the plants would grow big and strong.

Then, I had the idea that perhaps watering other things would also make them grow big and strong, and so - need I say more ....

Can you tell I'm happy summer is here?!  Thanks God for a very capable husband who is willing to make anything that I can dream up and then some and for wonderful children and friends that know the very best way of greeting the warm weather and life!

2 comments:

  1. It almost makes me want to start my own garden. Hmm, maybe next year. I think I have enough to keep me busy for now.

    ReplyDelete