Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Friday, May 7, 2010

It's all in how you see it...

My husband and I have been carpooling to work at least a few days a week.  Certain days we have other activities in the evening that require us to drive separately or my husband will have a known extra long day so in order to pickup our kids at a reasonable hour we drive separately.

His commute is about 40 minutes.  We drive to his work, drop him off , and then  I go about another half hour to get to work.  I'd be driving that distance anyways so it makes sense to share half the ride.

Yesterday we carpooled and on the way home, about 2 minutes before I was to pick up my husband, he texted me that he had just been called into late meeting.  So time to revise our plans.

Simply put  ... I drove to very near our home to pick up our kids then drove back up to pick up my husband.

Less simply put ... this involved meeting my parents at a park and ride to pick up our not yet school aged son who'd been the lucky purveyor of a day with gramma and pap pap, followed by picking up our older son at the babysitters, running by the house to drop off perishable food from lunch boxes and letting the dog out, then heading back to my husbands work.  Of course we hit a traffic jam on a main highway on the way back up due to an accident.  By the time I got to his office I'd been driving for 3 hours.  At this point, I could have seen all of this as "Agghhh, why can't we just be home".

Instead, here's how I saw it...

My younger son was tired from a very busy and happy fun filled day with grandparents - he gets to sleep in the car - nap done. 

What am I out?  I get to sit and cruise around in a fun little car  in beautiful weather- OK I'm good with that ... some people even do that on purpose! 

My older son needed some down time after a long day at school anyway. 

On top of that I had to Thank God that my husband and I both have wonderful professional careers that God has led and blessed, and most importantly that He (God) reminded me to get gas before I got on the turnpike after leaving my work.

When we arrived at my husbands work and he was still in a meeting - so I had time to review my sons spelling words with him for the spelling test the next day.  Plus my boys and I had some quiet time in the car just being with each other while we waited for Daddy.

When Daddy was done - here's the best part - we had a nice dinner at a very nice restaurant and .... I didn't have to cook dinner!!  Kind of an early mothers day.

God is so full of blessings, you just have to be sure that your focus allows you to see them, because sometimes it's easy to loose focus ...

1 comment:

  1. Glass half full...

    Way to go girl. You help keep me on the positive side.

    Happy Mother's Day!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete