Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Pruning and Gardening

I planted a garden several weeks ago, however, other than an occasional water when it hasn't rained recently enough, I haven't been back much to check on it.  To cut it back, pick it's produce or even just appreciate it's bounty.  I justify it because those plants need some time to grow and produce, but really it's just life "getting in the way".  When my day ends, it's way to late, way to dark and I'm way to exhausted to, well, care.  Perhaps I should plan on prioritizing and fitting that in somehow.  I know it needs some attention and a trim or pick here or there.

I, on the other hand, have been getting trimmed - well - down right pruned by the Almighty recently.  A few passages have really been sticking with me and made me ponder in recent days.  Those being, Lot's wife and the whole pillar of salt thing.  I always wondered why was she being picked on for just wanting to gaze at the car wreck on the side of the road.  I had the epiphany that when she "looked back"  it was not to see the destruction  but now realize it was that she looked back and dare I say it longed for the sinfulness.  

Also I've been pondering the temptation of Jesus when he's led into the wilderness and tempted by the devil.  It says he's led there by the Spirit to be tempted.  Good gosh does the Holy Spirit actually provide temptation to us or us to temptation.  Upon study and talking with other believers ... I understand that God does allow temptations / tests to see what's in our heart - what we're actually made of - where we stand.  

And then ... He prunes.  He cuts off and tears out the deadness so that we can be more His image and less ours.  

I have a friend who keeps calling me their angel.  It's amazing to me how God works to change a circumstance and make them - well mine - my angel that is.  An angel that's shown me the test so that I can understand and submit and hopefully pass God's ultimate test.  

This all to say, as we look to others to fill that space or void or to have the answers, perhaps it's just God, providing us, the opportunity to look to Him for those answers and to fill that space.  

May your earthly and eternal angels be as numerous and hard working as mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment